About Me

My photo
I am just someone who loves to cook and bake. This site only another one where I can share my experience and the recipes that I have done.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Black sticky rice pudding (ข้าวเหนียวดำเปียก)




What do you have for dessert in Thailand??

This is one of many questions that I have got asked a lot about Thai desserts.
Yes !!! we do have desserts and Thai people love desserts including me. I am not a big fan of desserts but I still have them sometime when I need a bit of something sweet.

When I was a child I was growing up with my relative who had dessert cart where she sold on the street .She made 15-20 types of Thai desserts everyday. I helped her a lot when I was with her and I learned from her by making them.

Thai desserts can be eaten in warm or cold. A lot of Thai desserts contain with coconut cream, palm sugar, white sugar and flour.

This is one of many Thai desserts ” Black sticky rice pudding ”

Recipe ( 4 serves)

Ingredients
½      cup black sticky rice, rinsed once and soaked in water for at least 3 hours or over night.
½      cup glutinous rice (white sticky rice), rinsed once and soaked in water for at least 3 hours.
3½    cup water
1       cup white sugar
1       cup taro, diced 1 cm
1       cup coconut cream
½      tsp salt

Method

-       In a big mixing bowl, add both of stick rices and wash both of sticky rices with water few times then drain.
-       In a saucepan fill 3cups of water and leave on over medium to high heat. Then bring the water to a boil.
-       After boiling add black and white sticky rice. Use spoon to mix well.
-       Bring to boil. After boiling reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir occasionally to prevent sticky rice get burnt and stick on the bottom of the saucepan. This will take 15-20 minutes.
-       When sticky rices are soften add sugar in.
-       Add cooked taro then mix well.
-       Bring to boil again and turn off the heat.
Coconut topping
-       In a small saucepan over low heat add 1cup coconut cream and ½ tsp salt.
-       Stir well with spoon until coconut hot but not boil for 5 minutes.
-       Remove from the heat.
Taro
-       Peel the skin and dice 1 cm.
-       In a steamer with boiling water place diced taro, cover with lid and steam for 5 minutes or until cook.
-       Alternatively place diced taro in a microwave with high temperature and cook for 3 minutes.
Now, you can enjoy Thai dessert as I do :)





No comments: